Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Lawyer
It’s no secret that Los Angeles is a car-dominated city. Parking is a huge pain at the best of times and there isn’t much in the way of public transit, which makes bikes seem to be your best bet for traveling short to moderate distances.
However, our city doesn’t have many bike lanes, forcing cyclists to share the road with drivers. As long as everybody follows the rules of the road and pays perfect attention to their surroundings, there won’t be any problems… however, nobody pays perfect attention. This classic PSA about bike safety illustrates the situation perfectly.
Drivers are paying attention to traffic lights, other cars, and maybe even things that they shouldn’t be, like their cell phones. They’re not looking for cyclists, and your field of vision as a cyclist is probably less than a driver’s. On top of that, Los Angeles is notorious for its hostile drivers and poorly-maintained roads. This can be a recipe for disaster for cyclists.
You could be hit by someone making a turn without looking or making an illegal turn, winged by a rear view mirror, backed into, or even have a door opened right into your path by an oblivious driver or passenger. Unlike a driver, you don’t have a whole car between you and the other car or the road. Being involved in a bicycle accident at 20 or 30 miles per hour can be extremely painful, frightening, and can even cause life-altering injuries or death.
Cyclists need an effective lawyer who understands the dangers of cycling in Los Angeles and who understands the ins and outs of the law – and has the passion to seek justice for harmed cyclists. Josh Cohen is that lawyer, and he’s a commuter cyclist himself. He has been harassed by drivers and even hit a few times himself. Cohen is the ideal advocate for cyclists and their rights because he’s one of them – he has made making LA safer for cyclists and finding justice for them when they get hurt into the defining aspect of his career.
Possible Injuries from Bicycle Accidents in LA
- Broken bones, including limbs, vertebrae, jaw, and pelvis
- Puncture wounds
- Total or partial paralysis
- Spinal cord injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Road rash
- Eye damage
- Lost or broken teeth
Tips for Those Involved in a Bicycle Accident
- Carry a cell phone with a camera to photograph the scene, get license plate numbers, and contact the authorities.
- Record insurance information and contact information for any witnesses.
- Have your own insurance information, emergency contact, and personal identification on your person.
- Wait for the police to arrive and file an accident report. This documents the incident and establishes the identities of witnesses.
- Photograph your bike, and if possible, the car, in the state it was in after the accident. Do not move it until the police have arrived and inspected it.
- Do not make any negotiations with the driver(s).>
- Do not make any statements, written or recorded, without a lawyer.
Contact the Los Angeles Bicycle Attorney
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident, please contact us today via our online form or by phone at 323-937-7105. Our office is located at 4929 Wilshire Blvd #410, Los Angeles, CA 90036 in neighborhood of Central LA just north of I-10. Josh Cohen and team will help you get the compensation you deserve and the justice you seek.