Our Attorney Practice Areas in Los Angeles
There are some wonderful places to ride a bicycle in California. Riding your bike in Los Angeles or other congested metro areas can be a bit more of a challenge. As a cyclist, you need to be careful and even them most skilled bicycle rider can be a victim of a careless driver. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident in Los Angeles, you should consult with Josh Cohen, experienced bicycle accident attorney and cyclist enthusiast. Our attorneys have over 25 years of extensive experience handling personal injury claims and lawsuits on behalf of injured bicyclists and will help you recover full and just compensation for your injuries.
Our lawyers not only provide aggressive representation for bicycle accidents, but other specialized practice areas as well. Some of our most experienced practice areas include:
Individuals who use their bikes to commute to and from work must be extremely diligent. Not only do they have to deal with hectic and sometimes unsafe roadways, they must be on the lookout for motorists who are unaware of their presence. Bicyclists are constantly exposed to a variety of dangers. It is important to have an attorney who understands the unique problems that cyclists face on a daily basis. Read more about our bicycle accident practice area.
Our lawyers work aggressively to ensure that you not only receive the best legal advice and representation, but that you also receive the just compensation deserved to assess the injury treatment needed. There are many different injuries that a person may suffer due to a bicycle accident, including:
- Head injury
- Fractured bones
- Spinal cord injury
- Acetabular fracture (broken pelvis)
- Ankle fractures
- Fractured collarbone (clavicle)
- Internal organ damage
- Road rash injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Wrongful death
Car accidents can be the result of a driver’s negligence, the malfunction of the vehicle itself, weather conditions or a defect in the roadway. Our attorneys are able to help determine what type of personal injury case a person has and what kind of compensation and damages can be expected. Personal injury cases involving car accidents may also involve wrongful death if a person died because of the injuries they received due to the crash. Read more about our automobile accident practice area.
Potholes, sink holes, cracks, slippery gravel or stones and unmarked construction zones can result in a variety of different types of damages to a vehicle and injuries to the person operating it. Roads often become damaged due to severe weather and wear and tear. Defective roadways can lead to slide-offs, slick spots that can lead to collisions and damage to a vehicle’s suspension from driving over deep holes or cracks. Read more about our defective roadways practice area.
Pedestrian accidents occur in a variety of ways, many are the result of distracted or inattentive drivers who do not see them until it is too late. Pedestrians should always take care to wear bright or reflective clothing and making their presence known to drivers who are approaching. Read more about our pedestrian accident practice area.
Personal Injury Accidents
Personal injuries can occur in an accident that is the result of another person’s negligence or carelessness and can dramatically affect a person’s life as well as their livelihood. A highly qualified, general practice attorney can get to the bottom of the case and uncover the necessary information to represent a personal injury claim to gain compensation for the victim. Read more about our personal injury practice area.
Personal Injury Treatment
Personal injury treatment can be quite lengthy, depending on the severity of the injuries. A person who is injured in a personal injury accident may have to endure years of recovery. If the person is injured severely enough, they may need treatment of some kind for the rest of their life. An attorney who is knowledgeable with personal injury cases understands the importance of getting compensation that will ensure that the treatment the victim needs is available to them for as long as they need it. Read more about our lawyers can help you receive personal injury treatment for an accident.
Premises and Product Liability
Individuals who are injured on the property of a business or through the use of a product can seek compensation from the company as long as they can prove their injuries were a result of some type of neglect or inappropriate behavior on the company’s behalf. A general practice attorney with a background in personal injury cases can help them win their case. Read more about our premises liability and product liability practice areas.
Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) offers the following statistics:
- Nearly all bicycle deaths are caused by accidents between bikes and motor vehicles.
- Over 20% of all biking fatalities in the U.S. are of children age 5-15.
- Bicycling results in more emergency room admissions than any other sport or activity.
- The most common cause of death from a bicycle accident is head and brain injury.
- Bicycle accidents which do not occur amid car traffic commonly happen in bike paths, driveways and parks.
- In Los Angeles, cyclists may ride on sidewalks unless they exhibit “willful” or “wanton” behavior.
- Los Angeles has 1,200 miles of bike ways, but many are along busy thoroughfares on which cars and bikes compete for space.
- At the turn of the century, Los Angeles was considered the bicycle capital of the nation, and portions of the route taken by the Pasadena Freeway had been a bike way.
- Just 0.6% of Los Angeles’ 28,000 miles of street lanes are for bikes, compared to cities like Portland who have about 6% of its 3,949 miles of street lanes for bikes.
- In 2006, 28 people in Los Angeles County were killed on bikes, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety.
Tips if You’re Ever in a Bicycle Accident in Los Angeles
- Riding your bicycle is a safe, healthy and cherished way of life, but we have a long way to go to create a truly bicycle-friendly community.
- Ride with a cell phone, personal identification, emergency contact, and something to write with.
- Call the police or an ambulance immediately. If you are unable to do so, ask someone to help.
- Always wait for the police to arrive and file an official accident report. A police report provides documentation detailing the incident, including the identity of witnesses.
- Leave your bike in the same state it was after the accident, if possible. Take pictures of the bike and the scene of the accident, if possible.
- Obtain the contact information of any witnesses.
- Immediately seek medical attention.
- Never negotiate with the driver of the vehicle, regardless of who may be at fault. Get the driver’s name and his or her insurance information, along with the names of any passengers.
- Give no written or recorded statements to anyone.
Bicycling accidents can occur numerous ways. About one third of bicycle accidents involve a collision between a cyclist and a motor vehicle. Cycling accidents frequently result in very serious injury to the cyclist. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident contact the Los Angeles bicycle attorney. Expert bicycle attorney Josh Cohen will help you get the compensation you deserve. You may be able to file a bicycle accident claim and receive monetary compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys will investigate all aspects of your accident to find out who is at fault. Contact us today at 323-857-9500.